You Make Patients and Families’ Lives Better One Grant at a Time
As a member of Friends of UW Health, you help fund programs and services that directly benefit our patients and families but are not covered by insurance. Friends provided almost $250,000 in support this year. And for the first time, Friends opened its grant application to outside organizations.
Examples of programs and projects within UW Health supported by a grant from Friends:
- Patient and Family Housing Fund. Provides hotel rooms for patients and families who lack financial resources.
- Dogs On Call Therapy Animals training manuals. The positive benefit of therapy animal visits on our patient’s mental health can lead to faster recovery.
- Swings, mobiles, vibrating machines, developmental mirrors for cribs and positioning devices to help sooth babies in the American Family Children’s Hospital Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
- A trellis to provide shade in the Hilary Grace Healing Garden
- TriStander 58 Tumble Forms for patients who need to start standing after complex orthopedic surgeries, but are not ready to do so on their own.
- iPads for patient education and distraction.
- Electric cart for guest service ambassadors to transport patients throughout the hospital.
- Brushes and hair ties for patients in our Pediatric Intensive Care Unit who have been in a trauma event and become bedridden for days and get massive nests of tangles that can become very painful to brush out.
A few examples of external organizations and projects supported by a grant from Friends and benefiting UW Health patients and families include:
- Breast Cancer Recovery Infinite Boundary Retreats: to help women breast cancer survivors heal emotionally.
- Agrace Hospice and Palliative Care: to establish a pediatric palliative care program for young patients and their families.
- Three Gaits Therapeutic Horsemanship Center: provides equine-assisted activities and therapies that enhance the lives of people with physical, emotional, or intellectual challenges.
- Badger Childhood Cancer Network: provides financial assistance to make sure children on treatment for cancer and blood disorders do not have their health or safety endangered by lack of access to safe housing, adequate nutrition or necessary transportation for tests and treatments.
- Ronald McDonald House Charities: provides a “home-away-from-home” for families so they can stay close by their hospitalized child at little or no cost.
- Camp Kesem: a nationwide community, driven by passionate college student leaders, that supports children through and beyond their parent’s cancer and serves 200 kids in Wisconsin each year.
Friends accepts grant proposals on October 1 of each year. Funding criteria can be found at http://www.friendsofuwhealth.org/grants/grant-criteria/
Support next year’s grants by becoming a member. Join online today!